If longer, stronger hair is one of your 2015 resolutions, I hope you’re hungry. Eating well is one of the easiest ways to ensure healthy hair, and according to Nutritionist Lisa Drayer, MA, RD and author of The Beauty Diet, there’s 10 key superfoods that can simplify your dietary efforts. Continuing our Hairy Food series, we’ve compiled a list of 10-minute recipes to keep you on the right track without taking too much time from your day.
No-Bake Blender Brownies
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp cacao nibs (add more to taste)
- Blend walnuts in food processor until coarse flour forms. Add dates, cacao powder, and salt, processing until a moist, crumb-like dough has formed. Add water a spoonful at a time as needed to achieve the right dough texture (crumb-like dough should stick when pinched).
- Spread the crumbs into an 8 × 8-inch baking pan, sprinkle with the cacao nibs, and press firmly into a solid layer. Cut into bite-size squares and serve.
Note: this recipe works great for brownie balls, too. Instead of pressing into a baking pan, roll spoonfuls of the dough into donut hole-sized balls and enjoy!
Asian Lentil Salad
- 2 cups lentils, precooked
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (use the ones in the tubes, saves time)
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger (use the ones in the tubes, saves time)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Siracha
- 1 tsp red chili flake (optional for additional spice)
Toss all ingredients into a bowl and stir with a spoon to fully incorporate the flavors.
via Kathy Fang
Chicken with Quinoa, Oranges, and Walnuts
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 oz shredded rotisserie chicken breast (about ½ cup)
- 1 oz raw walnuts, coarsely chopped (about 5 Tbsp.)
- 1 medium orange, peeled, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- Combine quinoa, chicken, walnuts, orange, and cilantro in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper; toss gently to blend.
Cinnamon Superfood Porridge
- 2 serves of Think Vitality Nutrition WPI Superfood Blend Cinnamon (or your protein of choice)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Place all of the ingredients in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir until combined.
- Turn up the heat and allow to just boil.
- Turn down the heat to medium and allow to simmer for around 5 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon! Simple, easy and delish!