I’m a strong believer in sleep, and so is Matthew Murphy, co-founder of Appsurdity. Murphy’s company is behind the popular Quad app, the only group chat messenger to support up to 500 members in a single room. Overcoming such a technical feat required creativity, foresight and a clear mind to process it all (that’s where sleep comes in).
Perhaps one of the funnest executives I’ve met this decade, Murphy shares 8 things that make him smarter.
8 things that make Matthew Murphy smarter
- Exercise daily
- Sleep enough so you’re refreshed
- Eat healthy so you have the energy to perform at your best
- Break up the work day with some time to have fun with your colleagues (i.e. a game of ping pong)
- Listen to Audible books during the morning commute (my favorites are biographies of great leaders)
- Clear your head by spending time with your family / kids, which helps fuel creativity and my imagination
- Take time to stop and admire amazing accomplishments (i.e. the building of a bridge)
- Stay organized and focused with tools like Evernote, Omnifocus and Quad. I make it a habit to write everything down that I need to work on so my head is clear, focused and not worried about forgetting something.